Thursday, February 18, 2010

Presentation#3

*Unite for children, unite against AIDS*




Reflection (as a group)
a) The process of preparation and rehearsal
I think we have spent enough time for preparation and rehearsal (twice). But if we could do more, the better it became, I think.
b) The effectiveness of the introduction
Kohei started the introduction with an interesting question, asking about our teen times, making it attention grabbing by connecting such question to serious issue of AIDS. I think he did a great job thinking about it.
c) The persuasiveness and organization of the content in the body

Overall, I think that it was persuasive and well organized. However, it was better if it covered more specified issues, such as question that Mark asked in the end.
d) The conclusion and Q&A
I tried to make the conclusion sound very serious, appealing how desperately we are in need of the donation. Q&A: for the first question, I think our answer was a little vague but I think it was okay since the question was a little technical question about AIDS itself. For the second question, I thought that we should have searched the detailed number, but I think Kaya did her best to answer it. I searched the number after the presentation but it did not say in the UNICEF homepage, so it was "sikata-ga-nai" but we should have done it before.
e) Use of visuals
I think we used the visuals effectively, using not only the pictures but also a video.
f) Body language: Eye contact, facial expression, gestures, and posture
I think we could have done more eye contact, since we sometimes had to read the script. But it was not that bad. Facial expression was appropriate: serious and calm. I think that there were little gestures since we were holding script. However, when we put our script down we did some which was good. The posture was good, too.
g) Use of voice
All three of us talked in appropriate volume and I think it was all clear.
h) Other points (as you like)
As Mark has pointed after our presentation, maybe Kaya and I were talking faster than Kohei.


Reflection (of myself)
a) The process of preparation and rehearsal

I think I spent enough time for preparation (about a week) and the rehearsal as a group was adequate (twice). However, since I do many rehearsals by myself, I wanted to rehearse more by myself. I only did twice before doing a rehearsal as a group, and I think that I should have memorized the numbers more.
b) The effectiveness of the introduction
Kohei started the introduction with an interesting question, asking about our teen times, making it attention grabbing by connecting such question to serious issue of AIDS. I think he did a great job thinking about it.
c) The persuasiveness and organization of the content in the body
I think that it was persuasive and well organized. Maybe if I talked more about the companies that gave UNICEF "A rating", it could have been more persuasive.
d) The conclusion and Q&A
I tried to make the conclusion sound very serious, appealing how desperately we are in need of the donation. I got stuck in the middle part where I said "more children are alive, more children are healthy and more children have the chance to grow up" so that was one regretful thing.
Q&A: for the first question, I think our answer was a little vague but I think it was okay since the question was a little technical question about AIDS itself. For the second question, I thought that we should have searched the detailed number, but I think Kaya did her best to answer it. I searched the number after the presentation but it did not say in the UNICEF homepage, so it was "sikata-ga-nai" but we should have done it before.

e) Use of visuals
After the interchanges with JLP students, I had an advice that I should put more pictures of people suffering from AIDS although it is hard to look at them, to help persuade and appeal the seriousness of AIDS. Therefore, I added more visuals of patients. I have also made graphs by Excel to make data easier to understand.
f) Body language: Eye contact, facial expression, gestures, and posture
Eye contact: At first, the eye contact was very inconsistent since I was reading script to read numbers and definitions of words. In the middle, I was looking more at the audience and in the conclusion, I was fully looking at the audience.
Facial expression: I think the facial expression was appropriate: serious and calm.
Gestures: At first, there weren't much gestures since I was holding a script, but in the middle, there started to be more but I tried to make them simple and not too much since this presentation is about a serious issue.
Posture: I think that I did not move so much compared to other 2 presentations I have done.
g) Use of voice

I think it was good, not too small nor too loud.
h) Other points (as you like)
I think I should of talked a little slower and memorized the numbers, definitions of words, and detailed information about results. But overall, I think we achieved our goal of trying to make it persuasive, organized and to tell the audience how serious issue AIDS is.

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder how you can talk like the way you do: confident, calm and charming. I could enjoy your speech this time as well, and the presentation as a whole.

    I really loved your presentations but since I need to make some suggestions, here are some points I noticed while you were presenting:

    As you are saying on the self-reflection, your eye contacts were a little bit weak. Maybe you didn't need to hold the script, so that there were more chances to look at the audiences as you did in the conclusion.

    Another point is that because you can speak English so fluently, sometimes you go too fast with too many words. Maybe you can speak a bit slower, or instead, you can make some pauses so that the audiences can fully assimilate what you said.


    Great job, Lisa!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    Many of my impressions are similar to what you have already covered in your self-analysis and also what Miki mentioned.

    Impression:
    I felt your group delivered a very effective request for financial support for the UNICEF AIDS project. The content was well-researched and organized and clearly delivered in almost all parts.

    Good points:
    -Very clear thesis and points organized to the end.
    -Excellent specific details about the seriousness of the problem, 4 Ps, and what the money can buy, and how reliable the organization is.
    -Very sincere voice, and good body language in all parts.
    -Very effective and well-designed visuals for communicating your points. No bad slides at all.
    -Generally a good balance between eye contact and reading key words from notes.
    -In the conclusion, your part about how 21 children have died during the presentation was extremely powerful--it was clear that we are running out of time. Great sense of urgency.

    Suggestions:
    -Slow down and avoid reading quickly! Pause more. Let the message sink in.

    -Emphasize each point deeply with gestures. Avoid holding the script with two hands. It looks nervous and defensive.

    Nice work on this final presentation!

    ReplyDelete